Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Forever and the Night - Linda Lael Miller Already had a thing for vampires...Read Bram Stoker's Dracula in school, whipped through Anne Rice's Chronicles and I ALWAYS fall for "THAT" vampire (or variation of a vampire)...you know....the One with the crazy/dreamy name that bespeaks interesting power and mystery(Mikhail Dubrinsky, Louis de Pointe, Acheron, Aidan Tremayne ; the One that has a tortured or redeeming soul (definitely Aidan Tremayne, Edward Cullen's predecessor LOL); the One who falls for the ordinary or seemingly delicate woman who becomes his beacon of humanity. I love when authors display the vampire's (POV)stream of consciousness, the fact that they frighteningly retain some humanity (or responsibility for it) but they also have the most potential to be the worst of monsters.
Yeah, LLM has the formula there and even though it has been played, we don't get enough because it is more like a folksong one recognizes will always be sung and bringout desire no matter the cliche surrounding it.
I fell in love with Forever and the Night ten years ago and have reread it over the years and figured that I still love the formula, esp the added mix of intriguing characters like Valerian and Aidan's sister, Maeve, but I definitely think the ending was so wrapped in "quick fixes" or "fixes" that defy the whole theme of the forsaken, humanity's grace and legend of vampire origin and lore. For me, the story shouldn't start with all the heavy and then burst the bubble with an anticlimax, or nonsensical "reaching".
This gets four stars for nostalgia's sake and the fact that this first book in this series/*trilogy(?)* was the only one I liked.