Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) - Samantha Young 2 stars-for headache
2.5 stars-for overall main purpose

Sometimes, it takes one character to ruin the whole mood for you. Jocelyn Butler did this for me. I will gladly stay in the minority in my review of this book because Jocelyn was more than vaguely reminiscent of a few other characters who came before (her predecessors, I shall not name). Furthermore, she was cliché-ridden, pessimistic and way too contradictory (most of her actions didn't match her inner thoughts or reality; if that makes sense). I am constantly baffled by supposedly smart heroines who drop-the-ball, choke or don't "get a clue" when the going gets tough or when they are faced with what they really want!!! In this book, I was totally intolerant of the "fight".

Maybe, I am being too hard on this character or I am missing the incredible and detrimental residue of survivor's guilt, post-traumatic stress or fear of abandonment [Jocelyn's whole family was killed in an accident when she was a teenager]. But...uh...nope...I am quite certain I have some credible experience with these head trips.

I felt the same about Jocelyn as I did about Carly in [bc:The Wreck|10791356|The Wreck|Marie Force|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327988481s/10791356.jpg|15658253]. They both were too...lukewarm in spirit; neither of true grit nor integrity. Just too self-involved, engulfed in their grief, their plight, and devoid of the "bigger" picture, if you ask me. Heroines like these are lost on me. They exhaust me. Yet, I understand the personality complex because I think I know some people like Jocelyn. Emo, much!
(Please forgive the judgmental tone, but I freakin' love life! Sure, even though it has dealt me a tragedy and some truly ugly moments.)

But then, Jocelyn has no family, so at first, this condition is justified. Yet, she has a best friend and then Braden, his sister, and others, come generously into her life, and Jocelyn totally mucks up every piece of normal, every piece of love, which can help heal her. What's more, she is doing just grand financially and educationally, so I really wanted her to "get her head out of her ass".

I like that the author incorporated scenes of Jocelyn in therapy and Jocelyn in panic-attack mode, but sadly, these components did little to convince me that Jocelyn's actions made sense. Sure, I know that some things just don't make sense. Valls! Stop analyzing, you say. However, if I am gonna take the time to read a story where the author includes psychological issues, disorders, and trauma...well, I at least want to freakin' believe it. I want some realistic procession and/or resolution. If not, I disengage. I start skimming and scanning, until the end.

Jocelyn's love interest, Braden was okay. He had some wit. He had an alpha streak,(IMO)with sort of corny chest-beating moments. He cared about his sister and family. He sure loved the heroine. And KUDOS, he understood that women can break wind just the same as men. LOL, great scene! . Overall, Braden helped to keep my interest at times, because he, at least, made more sense, and so did his sister, who, thank god, kept living-in-Jocelyn's-head bearable.

Bottom line...On Dublin Street was passable. I wanted to be impressed. I wanted Braden to have more of a brogue? or something "Really?" you say. I know, I know...but I wasn't "feeling" his Scottish...swagger :D

Most of all, I wanted to like or accept Jocelyn...It just didn't pan out.