Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Beast - Pepper Pace
“I’m learning, sweetheart. Just…please be patient with me. It’s hard to undo a lifetime of insecurities.”

She gave him a solemn look. “I know.”

3.5 stars for overall plot
4 stars for the story it wants to be

This story is a spin on the old tale, Beauty and the Beast, but really, the beast is more than a scarred man who falls in love with a beauty.

In this story, both the hero and the heroine carry a beast inside of them, the heroine with his inward loneliness and outward isolation due to his deformity, the heroine with her self-seeking vanity and battle with obesity. Furthermore, there are outside "beasts" that are battled as well, in the form of other people's superficiality, prejudices and ignorance. Yet these are never so strong as the struggle both the hero and heroine have as they try to trust and accept that "good" IS out there, just waiting for them to grasp it. To "see" it!

Beast is aptly named even if the cover is a poor complement. It hits upon some deep issues, sometimes, in almost-poignant ways(meaning:I was touched, but not floored by them). More to the point, some changes in the characters' circumstances, I questioned, but totally understood why this writer took those routes.

This is one of those times when I, as a reader, was taken by the sentiment and intentions in the author's purpose, but recognized some slight mis-fires in execution. It's a story that's written a little rough-around-the-edges, but it MERITS attention.