Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Raid - Kristen Ashley
2.75 stars
Yep, Grandma knows best, so review now up!

Some Gram-stealer quotes...
She waved a hand at me. “Don’t take away my fun.” Then she smiled and leaned my way. “Every Friday, him, in my yard, sweatin’ and mowin’ my lawn. Even old women need a thrill.” She settled back and closed her eyes. “That right there’s gonna be mine."
If I didn’t act like a klutzy, dorky idiot every time I was around him, I would be there every Friday to watch Raiden mow the lawn too.

“Said what I said and I’ll end it with this. If you’re the kind of woman who can withstand the blaze of hellfire he’s got burning inside, he battles that and wins, you will know nothing for the rest of your life, no taste, no experience, not even the birth of your children that will be sweeter than the love he’ll have for you."
Well, characterization is one of KA's crafts! And, Hanna's great-grandmother was a definite show stealer. She wanted a great guy for her little Hanna, but she also prepared her little chickadee for the "fire that burns" in a dangerous man.

Raid? Dangerous man? Who? Now, don't get me wrong. All of the insinuations are there, and he does hangout with the likes of Knight, the beautifully beta Creed, and this mysterious Deacon fellow. However, Raid was not so much dangerous as he was a bit broken. He messes up royally, twice, with his Hanna because of this. Yet, I only got Raid mouthing off about what he's gonna do. There's not enough action to suffice. I had this problem in Knight. In Creed, I only had this problem with Sylvie, but Creed still comes out a bit better than the other two. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing the books, but dammit, I can't help it when the same conflict plays a recurring role, starring: Knight's enemies!

Speaking of the threats to Knight's small empire, and those would be Nair, Nick and the Feds, the reader gets cameos of one of the three. Then, none other than Marcus Sloane plays a small part. This all fits into what it is that Raid does, which is adequately explained, but I can't help but feel that Raid drops the ball, or loses points on being a badass, underworld bounty-hunter, because he is introduced to us with ulterior motives for attaching to Hanna and then suddenly the reason for those motives just disappears, never to be addressed until danger really does strike. In addition, this really made me doubt his skills at protection, at being...well...thorough(snickers).

Protecting Hanna (and his game) either didn't seem to be high on Raid's priority list or, again, this alpha, who was given a couple of cryptic "red alert" warnings, was just dense as hell! Seriously, I didn't know whether the plot wanted to be focused on just the Raid-Hanna romance routine or the Raid-dangerous-romantic suspense one. Either way, a balance or blend of the two was not achieved, IMO.

On another note,the popular motif/character dialogue topic, "You are my reward", is used--cough, overused. Okay. Okay. I get it. These sweet, anywhere from dorky to wild heroines, are beautiful balms to the disquieted soul. There is even an explanation by Raid, expounding on why men go over to fight wars, and this is so they can come home to their "rewards." I liked that connection, BUT, lines drilled home by Tack,
"...And I’d find absolution because I’d know, I earned the love of that woman, a woman who’s got so much to her it’ll take years to dig down and find the heart of her, that would be my reward.” [b:Motorcycle Man|13448656|Motorcycle Man (Dream Man, #4)|Kristen Ashley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337615202s/13448656.jpg|18968802]
AND then given to Raid, who, incidentally, came up short in his delivery compared to Tack ...well this just plain urked me! That was Tack's MO...some alpha speak/elements should be exclusive. Sacred, even!

Please, if Tack's "hand-on-the-pulse" thing is ever repeated (given to another alpha male character), IDK what I'll do.LMAO

In all, I got a hit to sustain my KA addiction. It was a minor hit that gave me a fleeting high. Now, I do appreciate Knight more (heck, maybe even Creed), especially in the eroticism department. With Raid, I was like : "hey man, either be steamy sweet like Chace, or get it all out like Knight." LOL, fortunately, I found at least ONE scene erotic, and it unexpectedly turned into something a bit endearing,the Hanna,"crawl for me" scene, because the exchange between Raid and Hanna left something to think about, BUT that level of trust and submission is not revisited, so I was a bit disappointed.

Though I will not mention my hang-ups with the heroine, Hanna, I will say that she certainly has "staying power" and well, shit, she DID go flying a couple of times (LOL). So, this installment of Unfinished Heroes gets a head nod for being sugary sweet, two claps for the connection between love and the tortured war hero, and a smackingly loud kiss for the character, Grams!

I shall patiently wait for what else KA has in store.