Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Fairytale Come Alive (Ghosts and Reincarnation, #4) - Kristen Ashley Update: 3 and 1/2 stars
This book reminded me of the period drama The Buccaneers, a saga about 19th century high society American women who desire to live in England and find their prince, which was the "fairy tale" that Isabella and her friend set out to do at a tender age and they each meet their Scottish bough.

Isabella and Pren's story is cut short by a typical controlling force, but that isn't what grabs attention. The two destined souls are torn apart for a fair amount of years (KA's style of letting those of us beyond our twenties know there's still time), and during that time the heroine develops a coping mechanism and depression (psychological problems) that a woman-who appears to have it all-can let consume her, while the hero moves on to gain a loving wife and two great kids (and still his human heart can withstand his loving ALL THAT, on top of carrying an unwavering torch for his lost Isabella). That KA gives each lover something to contend with during their separation, and develops each conflict so that it is sort of believable, is what grabs attention.

And if you can take anymore stretching and breaking of the heart, then the paranormal addition--the ghost of the dead-wife lurking around in places no dead-wife should have to-- is the trick!

I like the hero and heroine's back-story, the kids, the British-bloke-
thing and the setting(Scotland).

My hang-ups w/this book didn't take away (too much) my enjoyment of the characters and general story, such as:

*the controlling parent with WAY too much control
*the I-didn't-call-or-try-to-explain/give-u-a-second-chance mistakes of both hero and heroine, thus wasted years
*the power of self-fulfilling prophecy in some of the characters, esp. the heroine and her issues (though literary-wise, this can be construed a plus for its portrayal).
In writing this review, and in comparison to other books in the series, I think I like this as much as Sommersgate, if not at times slightly more.