Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1) - Kresley Cole,  Robert Petkoff The hero, Lachlain MacRieve in this one reminded me of Jacques Dubrinsky, [bc:Dark Desire|180426|Dark Desire (Dark, #2)|Christine Feehan|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1172485626s/180426.jpg|174338]of the Dark Series, by Christine Feehan. Both withstood torture, both were a little hard for their heroine to take. Difference is, Jacques is a character of a rather somber, darker and more serious world than that of Lachlain.

I believe in Lachlain's torture, the trauma of which is almost immediately transferred to obsession in his relentless "taking" of his captive, Emmaline Troy. I confess that this vigor attracted me to the storyline. Heroes who are ultra dominant, tortured and a**holes from the start nearly always find a way to worm themselves into my heart. Also, Lachlain's serious and darkly obsessive nature is nice, juxtaposed with the humor of Emmaline's maniacal family of Valkyries.

I have given this book and the next two in the series a consistent three stars-ish rating(with Lachlain and Emmaline's story being the top one of the three). I don't know what it is that keeps me from rating the installments of IAD, that I've read so far, above a 3. I can say that Kresley Cole creates a very fun playground of a world with otherworldly beings of both mythology and legend, who have interesting pasts and paths that they've traveled on, and their co-existence with humans is nicely worked in.

I appreciate the world-building in this series and its motif of comedy. The humor comes in the forms of some interesting Valkyries (I must say, one of my fave of Supernaturals), snappy dialogue that helps the fast paced action, and the rivalries that are destroyed and resurrected through consequence and ....well...love!

I will continue this series, as I have a feeling that one or two of these books stand to get a whopping 5 stars from me; I figure, I just haven't read it yet!