Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Surviving Raine - Shay Savage 3.65 stars, in my mind I know this could have been 4, and there's fact that I'm cynical about whether the author can pull it off in the sequel to come
I wasn't ready to give it 4 stars(& I may change my mind, LOL)[mind changed], I am[still]being generous and this one was a bit better OR different than the ones I've read and discarded lately.

The suspense plot was a little convoluted and left me hanging, the writing was a more than a bit rough, which hindered the flow, and after all of the ship-at-sea terms and the glaring incongruity of the hero's range of knowledge compared to his darkly illustrated background, I might have felt a tad overwhelmed, even if I liked the premise of the story.

What I liked!
There is a bit of a wolf and lamb situation going on. The hero, Bastian, is a mix of alpha wolf, Tarzan and Rambo (if that makes any sense) and he quotes Coleridge and Byron (awkward):
“I’m not stupid.”
“I’ve been meaning to ask you about that....I mean, you’re very well spoken for a high school dropout.”
“I still got my GED.  Actually, Landon insisted on it.”
“That’s it?”
“No.”
“You went to college too, didn’t you?”
“Correspondence schools, but yes,” I said.  “I have a master’s degree, actually.”
“Really?”
Raine’s shocked expression amused me.  I decided to take it a step further. “In English Literature.”
“You’re kidding.”
“I’m not,” I said.  “Do you want me to quote you something?”
“Yes, I do.”
In any case, Bastian had a raw sexuality and a "You are MINE!" possessive trait that appealed to me though it was a little much at times. However, I was just taken by his strength of will and his willingness to go to great lengths to take care of the heroine (I'm always a sucker for that!).

The heroine, Raine, as Cindy wrote: "Raine was nothing more than a weepy, angelic lamb to his wounded lion."; she was a bit weak for my liking, but she wasn't so annoying, given the situation she was in, and I liked her for Bastian because she was definitely what he needed.

The survival theme of the story was a great central theme though the suspense of it was frustratingly underlined by its connection to the hero's and heroine's backstory and the unexplained floating cloud of a threat that the author doesn't capitalize on until the end, leaving a bit of a cliff-hanger (which I DO NOT LIKE).

Bottom Line: Maybe the writer was just trying to write too much!LOL Nevertheless, this story held merit. So, read it if you are looking for the male PoV for the entire plot and something a bit on the dark side.