Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Beautifully Damaged - L.A. Fiore I hope whenever I decide to write a story, and it turns into a self- published book, that I heed the words in my own reviews. Lot's of writers have stories to tell, but execution of those stories, however controlled it can be, and reader reception of them are left to luck, chemistry, and/or good editing! I am convinced.

It still amazes me that terribly edited books can become popular. More, when those books are let loose on the reader population with sloppy grammatical errors and plot. This is not to say that I haven't rated some that had errors/issues, but were still gems, with 4 or 5 stars. It's just that 4 times out of 5, these books are tragic disasters.

Beautifully Damaged is one such book. Tragically, it wanted to be a dark, romantic suspense--along the lines of Anne Stuart's[b:Into the Fire|919357|Into the Fire|Anne Stuart|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328051128s/919357.jpg|904427]or Linda Howard's[b:Shades Of Twilight|439941|Shades Of Twilight|Linda Howard|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338706097s/439941.jpg|2873329]---BUT, it doesn't come close because it is bogged down in overdone, new adult formula virgin-heroine-meets-emotionally-fucked-with bad-boy (who is too dangerous for her) and blah, blah, blah. Adding to the tragedy is that the suspense factor had merit; then the backstory and uncovering of mystery is painfully, slowly dragged out, to the point that you don't give a damn anymore. I feel like a broken record for stating this again and again in reviews, but more character depth and point of view would have helped, greatly.

Instead, it seemed the author stumbled through telling the story in a drunken stupor, leaving out chunks of detail, jumping from one thing to another, and not "closing the deal" on what had potential to be a better story.