Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Captured by the Highlander  - Julianne MacLean, Antony Ferguson Meh...this one did not keep me on my highlander/historical romance happy cloud
I don’t want to marry a warrior. I want to marry a gentleman.
In that one line, the heroine completely lost me. Though, she somewhat redeems herself at the end(thank goodness), her idealism and judgment led her to think and act naively & it got on my damn nerves at times.

The hero, Duncan: I could not reconcile his sudden love of and need for acceptance from the heroine with his renowned warrior persona, yet his conflicts and backstory were believable and saved me from putting this book down because:

1. more than once, the dialogue didn't match the character or the time period.
2. attempts at banter/taunting from the hero to heroine were seriously a miss.
3. the feel of the highlands--the speech, added color of secondary characters, and immersion of the heroine into Scottish culture--was something I thought was either missing or not incorporated effectively. Just sayin'

All in all, it was an alright story that had some truly attractive elements which had potential. Because of this, I still rooted for this couple!

The next book's hero is a highlander who betrayed Duncan even though he was supposed to be a best friend. I might want to see if Julianne Maclean will be able to redeemed him in my eyes:D