Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
Undeniable  - Madeline Sheehan Warning: very slightly spoiler-ish bent & explicit language subject to appear.
3.5 stars- overall: for the conflict and mesh of characters

4 stars- for the entertainment and the drama of it all (LOL)

Finally, I dove into this Undeniable series and I must say I was...entertained. Sheehan's strength is for drama, gritty moods and setting, and it is somewhat in characterization. Any weaknesses I found was in fluidity of plot and sometimes in character motivation.

First, to get the characters out of the way: Kami was a riot, Cox was a hot mess of deliciousness, Eva was a crazily and sometimes unnecessarily conflicted "wild pu$$y", Preacher was a silent instigator, Frankie was a scarily excitable intrigue, and Deuce (who is definitely the douchebag that some reviewers have named him) is a too little-too late hot piece of raw mess and sexiness.

So there! A mouthful of description of some tragically irresistible characters from Sheehan's world involving the two MCs called the Horsemen and the Demons. There is so much that I can go on about in this concoction of a tale, but I will only limit it in relation to the hero and heroine, Deuce and Eva.
He was so fucking far beyond disgusted with himself but his cock was hard as a rock fucking aching for sixteen-year-old pussy.  Christ.  Yeah.  He was just like his old man.

First, we get alpha hero Deuce, who seriously pushes the envelope when it comes to the age of consent. His lady love, Eva, is under NY's limit, age 17, when he first gets her rocks off. This is understandably set up by Sheehan, who shows PoV between the two main characters, in order to create an evolution of sorts that either will soften the reader's perception of the preponderance of age difference, or incite a kind of forced acceptance in the couple's case, to be excused by the rather unhinged world with which they are wrought. In fact, both Eva's and Deuce's fathers held tradition of the older man-seriously young female. Other characters in this world have done this and as we see in the next book, will continue to do this. It is planted as a condition in this MC world: as soon as p*$$y is ripe and ready, there is always a bet that some leering or hot to trot biker male is ready to trounce on it.

Conversely, I, as a reader, had no problem with big age differences and the depiction of a world where young women are treated like property and pleasure vessels, etc. In fact, it is realistic and dually perpetuated by both sexes.
“Because baby, I'm wild pussy and wild pussy can't be bought.  Wild pussy doesn't like having pretty things thrown at it and being expected to do the samba on someone's cock in return.  Wild pussy doesn't do deals. Wild pussy lives free and for itself and takes it however it likes it."
Our heroine, Eva, doesn't do herself any damn favors. She falls in awe of her douchebag, swoony alpha hero Deuce; then she falls in lust, and later on to love. The awe, the lust, the love are never replaced by one another. Yeah, Eva is the one bad piece of "wild p*$$y" that she calls herself because this chick not only has room for ALL that she feels for Deuce, she also has room for "feeding" her monster of a pseudo-brother/obsessed boyfriend that her father rather selfishly and neglectfully saddles her with at a very young age. But wait! She also has room for going rogue and becoming a mistress of a manipulative sugar-daddy. Yep, our Eva juggles three men in the course of the book, all the while playing the MC's princess who is a part of the club as no other woman has the right to be, and gaining the loyalty, and sometimes dislike, from the rough and tumble biker brothers that her father and soul mate surround her with. So, you'd think that this chick would have a clue of how to protect herself or a clue of how to keep her integrity and "spirit" in tact, right? NOT!

And as colorful as the heroine and hero are, along with their conflicts, the reader gets treated to a pack of secondary characters who fill-in to the point of bursting with their own wildness and drama. They at times steal the show! You'd think that this is enough to satisfy everything, but it was not. I found that the constant twists and turns overshadowed the stream of consciousness that would have told why the main characters acted or didn't act in certain situations. Eva's rogue stint as a mistress reads like a summary, which doesn't help the reader understand her or her actions. So in effect, it becomes a WTF moment and sheds a little TSTL light on her. Deuce, for all his want and love of Eva, weirdly lets her go at times, to the point of indifference even though he knows that her life is constantly shadowed by a deranged sociopath. Another example of holes that the constant drama leaves is Eva's father, Preacher, who is written sometimes as a conflict to worry about and ends up being way too peripheral.

This is a shame because Preacher should have been connected more when it came to Eva's subjection to the sociopath, a boy-turned-man named Frankie, who Preacher adopts and pairs with Eva as successor to his small dynasty. Sheehan actually pays strong initial attention to this character as he literally and metaphorically straight-jackets Eva into an emotional pact with him where she falls into a delusion that she must take care of him however she can, at the cost of her own safety, happiness and sanity, in order to keep his demons at bay.
"Wasn't tryin' to hurt you, just wanted you with me always.  Can't fuckin' sleep without you an dyin' is sleepin' forever.  Can't sleep forever without you."
That she is left to deal with Frankie in this manner, first by her father and then by Deuce, who both are by no means clueless of the matter, is a glaring question that is never addressed. However, this element of plot is haunting enough to be the most unique part of the story.

In all, Undeniable is an attention-grabbing read that will leave you cursing at both the hero and heroine, laughing at the crudeness and banter, cringing at the hellish actions and decisions that are made, and just...blinking...because you seriously have to stop and make sure that IS what happened. Yes, it's very SOA and not as timid as KA's Motorcycle Man(an MC world which I romantically prefer).

When it comes to this genre of MC-biker boy drama, Sheehan's writing reminded me of a cross between KA's family oriented theme, definitely littered with what looks like KA alpha speak, and Mara McBain's thriller suspense. It is a mixture of borrowed hype, elements that are prolifically added to the plot, and sometimes unbalanced sequences. Yet, there is something to be said about its rawness and delivery. Entertaining, at best.