Valkyrie

Climbing Stories

Right Now
Marie Hall
Bound by Vengeance (SKALS, #2)
Adriana Noir
ALFONZO (Alfonzo, #1) - S.W. Frank Update: I wish GR had 1/2 stars, part stars or whatever! LOL
3.75 stars for exposition

4 stars for suspense and Godfather-like entertainment!
description

I was pleasantly surprised by the unfolding of this plot. The writing instilled a quick pace that wrinkled at points due to quick POV changes either mid-paragraph or between.

This romance features a half Puerto-Rican, half Italian hero (YOWZA), and an African American woman who is not over-stereotyped (thank God).

The most exciting thing is the underlying story that depicts the hero as an unbeknownst Mafia Prince, and the plays of suspense deal with double-crossing, old feuds, juxtapositions between street gang and organized crime, and codes of honor. This Godfather-like swirl sort of eclipses the romance, but not so much as to be left wanting.

My only beef is that the heroine isn't given a lot of importance, outside of what she means to the hero. This conflicts with how she is introduced, but it makes sense, as it mirrors how the hero comes to her: as a lifeline. Therefore she looks shy and timid, yet the romance is delivered with sweetness that justifiably belies the hero's dark world.

This could easily get 4 stars for its genre, adequate plot and reasonable characterization(though this area has room to improve). However, there needs to be some serious re-editing Doesn't stop the enjoyment of the story, but a clean-up would definitely enhance it. I will try the next book in the series.